Extra Special Crockpot Chicken
The stew that this is adapted from had a secret ingredient : cola! We take what we want from the flavors of this sugary beverage - citrus, vanilla and cinnamon - and leave the sugar and caffeine behind. The long list of ingredients may look intimidating but they don't require a lot of preparing. Perfect as a taco filling or on top of a sweet potato. Trust us, it works!
Servings: 4 people
- slow cooker
- saute pan
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 pounds Chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 medium White onion, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Orange, sliced in half about 8 ounces
- 1 large Lemon, sliced in half about 4 ounces
- 1 large Lime, sliced in half about 4 ounces
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup Taking Stock Unsalted Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp Grated nutmeg
- 4 Sweet potatoes, steamed or roasted skin on and split
- 8 small Flour tortillas, warmed (optional)
- 2 Radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs Cilantro, rinsed and dried
- 2 ounces Chihuahua cheese, crumbled Sub fresh goat cheese or ricotta salata
- 1 Firm but ripe avocado, sliced
- Program a 6-quart crockpot to high (4 hour) cook.
- In your favorite pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In small batches, add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook until the skin is caramel brown, about 6 minutes. You will not need to cook the flesh side of the chicken. Place the browned chicken to the crockpot, skin side up.
- Repeat the above step with remaining chicken.
- Pour off any extra fat from the pan. Heat the pan to medium and add the chopped onions. Cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the onions to the crockpot.
- Pour Taking Stock Unsalted Chicken Bone Broth into the pan. Bring to a simmer, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour into the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot, squeezing the orange, lemon and lime before adding the fruit to the pot. Cook the stew, covered, for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, turn the crockpot down to the lowest setting (warm) and remove the chicken thighs from the crockpot to a clean surface. Let cool for several minutes. Remove the chicken from the bone, and remove and discard skin. Shred the chicken and add it back to the crockpot.
- Remove and discard the pieces of citrus and the jalapeño. Let the chicken stew, covered, for 30 more minutes.
- Ladle 1/4 of the chicken and broth over the center of the sweet potato. Alternatively, use tortillas. Garnish with the radish, cheese, cilantro, and avocado. Serve hot.