Fulfilling Lentil Soup
This recipe for belly warming lentil soup makes a big batch. Packed with veggies and protein, it can be a lunch to look forward to for a whole week... and it freezes well! For this plant-based soup, use organic ingredients when possible.
Servings: 4 Hungry people
- Thick bottomed pot, 4 quarts or more
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1 medium Red onion, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 Carrots, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces rinsed, not peeled, for extra nutrients
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, rinsed, leaves chopped, stems finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp Ground fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Brown lentils
- 2 cups Taking Stock Foods Ginger Tumeric Bone Broth
- 4 cups Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 medium lemon, juice to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large, thick bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- When oil is glistening, add onion, carrot, and chard stems. Cook until onion and chard stems are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, curry, fennel, and black pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes with their juice and cook while stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Add Taking Stock Ginger Turmeric Bone Broth, water, lentils and salt. Bring soup to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Protect your hand from steam with a towel placed over the lid and puree soup until smooth. Pour pureed soup back into the pot and add chopped chard leaves, cooking until chard leaves are wilted, around 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, or lemon juice. Serve immediately, or cool and store for future use.