Chicken & Biscuits
Nothing says "comfort food" like a warm bowl of chicken and biscuits! Use refrigerated biscuits to save time. Save even more time by using a rotisserie chicken and skipping the poached chicken step.
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs ** can substitute 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken around 2 pounds
- 3 cups Taking Stock Foods Classic Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- 8 refrigerated biscuits, about 3" in diameter whichever brand you like, or home made
- Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of a medium sized pot. Cover with broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and lower heat to medium low. Allow to simmer at least 20 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. **If substituting a rotisserie chicken for the chicken thighs, simply bring the broth to a simmer over medium low heat.
- Preheat the oven according to package instructions on biscuits or the biscuit recipe you are following.
- Chop the celery, carrot and onion. You should have about 1/2 cup of each.
- Choose a pot or frying pan that's wide enough to accommodate 8 biscuits and is at least 4 inches deep. Melt the butter over medium heat and add the celery, carrot and onion. Cook the vegetables until they are beginning to brown.
- Add the flour to the vegetables and stir until the flour soaks up the butter and the vegetables are coated with a paste. Turn the heat to low and slowly cook the flour/vegetable mixture while you prepare the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the poaching broth to a cutting board. Allow the chicken to cool slightly, then chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Make the gravy. Increase the heat to medium on the flour/vegetable mixture. Pour the broth over the vegetables, one cup at a time, stirring the vegetables to eliminate any flour lumps. Continue adding and stirring the broth until all 3 cups have been incorporated. Stir in the half and half and the bay leaf and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and the frozen peas. Stir to incorporate, and bring this mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and taste for salt, adding salt as needed.
- Remove biscuits from package or prepare biscuits according to recipe. Cut one of the biscuits into quarters; this will be the biscuit you place in the center, and cutting it will allow it to cook through as quickly as the others. Arrange the remaining biscuits on top of the chicken vegetable mixture , finishing with the cut biscuit in the center.
- Place chicken and biscuits on the center rack of your oven and cook according to biscuit package/recipe instructions.
- Remove from the oven and serve.