Rich and spicy kale soup
Stick-to-your-ribs with a healthy twist: it's a plant based soup that's chock full of flavor thanks to bone broth, coconut milk and nutritional yeast.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 whole red onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sweet potato, rinsed, skin on, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup pickled banana peppers, chopped
- 2 cups Taking Stock Unsalted Chicken Bone Broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 13.6 oz can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 bunches kale, stem removed, chopped
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup liquid from the pickled banana peppers
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and sweet potato. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add cumin powder and cook until fragrant. Add black pepper, red pepper flakes. Add the banana peppers and stir to combine.
- Add the Taking Stock Foods Classic Chicken Bone Broth, water and coconut milk. Turn heat up to high. Bring to a boil.
- Add the kale. Mash the chickpeas, and add to the pot. Turn heat back to medium and cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and pepper liquid. Salt to taste. Serve hot.