Sesame chicken salad with shredded vegetables
Perfect for summer, this recipe is inspired by the Szechuan flavors of Dandan noodles. We've subbed in shredded veggies for a more nutrient dense version with 7 net carbs. Add Shiritaki noodles, zoodles, or whole wheat spaghetti to bulk this dish up even more.
Poached chicken ingredients
- 2/3 cup
Taking Stock Classic Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 whole star anise
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
Sesame sauce ingredients
- cooled, strained bone broth from poaching
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp ginger root, minced
Chicken salad ingredients
- poached chicken from first step, cooled and shredded
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 English cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
Bulk it up with one of these options
- 1 package angel hair shirataki noodles, cooked and rinsed in cold water optional
- 2 cups Zucchini noodles (zoodles) optional
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and rinsed in cold water optional
- In a large pan with a lid, bring Taking Stock Classic Bone Broth and star anise to a simmer. Add chicken breast. Cover and cook until the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 165 degrees on a thermometer for 15 seconds (about 8 minutes).
- Remove chicken and let cool. Strain and cool chicken broth.
Make sesame sauce
- Whisk together all sesame sauce ingredients.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken salad ingredients.
- If using noodles, toss in with other salad ingredients.
- Add sesame sauce a little at a time, toss to incorporate and repeat.
- Salt to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Can be made up to one day in advance.