Shaker lemon pie filling
Reminiscent of a lemon bar, Shaker lemon pie is tart and sweet. It is a fantastic Thanksgiving pie, and an excellent choice for anyone who loves lemon desserts.
- 2 lemons washed
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 9" pie crust
- Peel lemons carefully, removing only the yellow part of the skin. Mince the lemon peel finely and set aside.
- Remove the pith (white part) entirely from lemons and discard it. Chop the lemons finely, having removed and discarded the seeds. Put in a medium bowl.
- Add the minced peel and sugar to the bowl. Cover and let sit, refrigerated, 4 hours or overnight.
Make filling, bake pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust and put in a 9" pan pan.
- In a bowl, beat the 4 eggs, then add to the lemon mixture.
- Pour lemon/egg mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted in the middle of the pie comes out clean.
- Serve at room temperature. Can be baked a day ahead of time and stored, covered lightly, at room temperature.
This pie works great baked in our recipe for flaky pie dough with chicken broth.